There are a number of problems that usually affect the gastrointestinal tract. A few of them are often short lived; however, they cause discomfort and usually distressing. A lot of problems that affect the gastrointestinal tract can be resolved by improving the lifestyle and following doctor’s prescriptions.
Diarrhea- This disorder is treated while ensuring that dehydration will not happen again and decrease the rate of food movement through the bowel.
- Kaolin- This is a known remedy due to its reputation. This medication is available in tablet or liquid form. Anything in the bowel that may cause diarrhea is absorbed by the kaolin.
- Oral rehydration sachets- This must be the main treatment for diarrhea. Only these sachets replenish the salts in the body that it lost along with water during the disorder.
- Loperamide- This functions like Morphine but it is more effective. An episode of diarrhea can usually be treated with a couple of capsules as one dose.
Constipation- The main goal of treating constipation is to make some improvements in the bowel movement. This is made possible by taking in laxatives. Laxatives come in different types.
- Osmotic Laxatives- These functions by pulling water into the bowel which will soften the bowel content and minimize constipation.
- Stimulant Laxatives- These medicines are helpful in leading the passing of a movement and relieve constipation. They will irritate the bowel lining and cause bowel muscle contractions.
- Lubricating Agents- These agents line the bowel with lubricants to ease the passing of a movement.
Indigestion-Treating this disorder will vary according to its symptoms. Its treatment is aimed at removing the excess acid. Here are several ways to do this.
- Alginates- They react with acid and come up with a rafting effect. They are available in liquid or tablet form.
- Antacids- They contain ingredients that neutralize stomach acids
Gastrointestinal Problems: Surgery
Hand-assisted laparoscopic surgery (HALS) and laparoscopic surgery are minimally invasive procedures that are usually used to diagnose disorders in the gastrointestinal tract.
Some of the conditions that are treated at La Peer Surgery Center are as follows. Please contact us if you think you might be suffering from any of the signs and symptoms listed above.
Cirrhosis of the Liver
Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Peptic Ulcer Disease
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Chronic Viral Hepatitis
Inflammatory Bowel Diseases